Black Friday 2020 deals: The best Staples sales

Unlike many fellow retailers, Staples is displaying some patience when it comes to its Black Friday plans. It’s waited longer than many to release its Black Friday ad, and its deal schedule just spans a single week (Nov. 22 through Nov. 29) instead of a month-long spree of discounting. On the other hand, many of the PCs listed in its ad have already seen their prices marked down, so you may not have to exhibit the same patience if you want to grab one of the deals right now.


$170 off

We’ve seen the IdeaPad 3 offered as a budget laptop pick a number of times in Black Friday ads this year, and Staples continues the trend with a configuration of its own. Unlike deals on similar IdeaPad 3 notebooks elsewhere, this version includes a terabyte hard drive instead of a lower-capacity SSD for those who require more file

Read More

For CIOs, the game is about to change – again

Business execs around the globe have been impressed with how CIOs – and the technologies they oversee – have responded to everything that’s been thrown at them this year. And now bosses want even more: more than two-thirds (69%) of directors want their organisations to accelerate their digital business initiatives, which means a new set of demands being placed on tech managers.

Almost three-quarters (71%) of European CIOs say they now have more attention from the business due to their role in helping their companies cope with COVID-19, according to tech analyst Gartner’s CIO Agenda survey.

Last year, a third (33%) of board directors said they did not have a strong relationship with their CIOs. Today, that proportion is just 16% – and the remaining 84% describe their relationship with CIOs as one of partners or trusted allies.

SEE: Guide to Becoming a Digital Transformation Champion (TechRepublic Premium)

“One thing

Read More

BT taps VMware to launch global SD-WAN services

BT has announced the launch of a new generation of cloud-optimised managed network services to expand multinational customers’ choice of software-based connectivity systems.

BT noted that traditional wide area networking requires dedicated, proprietary supplier hardware to be installed at each customer site. The new managed service is based on generic hardware capable of supporting a choice of software-based networking systems from different suppliers.

The first service, based on VMware software-defined wide area network (SD-WAN), is available to customers globally and already in live deployment.

SD-WAN has been the go-to networking destination for firms over the last couple of years. The Masergy SD-WAN market trends report from August 2020 found that for the third year running, and with the backdrop of a vast increase in remote working due to the coronavirus, SD-WAN adoption has continued to grow, with an ever-increasing interest in managed and co-managed offerings to navigate the complexities of

Read More